Thursday, January 12, 2006

Muslims declare jihad on Samsonite!

Thousands of Muslim pilgrims rushing to complete a symbolic stoning ritual during the hajj tripped over luggage Thursday, causing a crush in which at least 345 people were killed, the Interior Ministry said.

The stampede occurred as tens of thousands of pilgrims headed toward al-Jamarat, a series of three pillars representing the devil that the faithful pelt with stones to purge themselves of sin.

Interior Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Mansour al-Turki said 345 people were killed. Dr. Abbasi, a Red Crecent doctor at the scene, put the number of injured at 1,000.


This reminds me of Halloween when I was about 5 years old. My parents dressed me up as a ghost. The costume consisted entirely of a sheet with a couple holes cut out so I could see. I remember tripping on that damn sheet about every 10 steps. Considering the muslim wardrobe is nearly the same, I'm surprised this sort of tragedy doesn't happen on a weekly basis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home